ATOVI & CORN
Corn ranks next to rice as our staple crop in the Philippines. Formerly, the high cost of farm inputs like seeds and fertilizer is one of the burdens of many farmers. Now, it’s the cost of pesticides that’s been hurting farmers, and the very low quality of corn produce because of more than 20 harmful insects damaging the whole life cycle of these pests.
Tracing back the reason why these insects enjoy damaging the corn plant, the answer pinpoints to the problem of absorption and utilization of nutrients. This is how Atovi works on the plants: increase the population of beneficial microorganisms in the soil, drive away insects, promote fast and healthy growth of plants, makes the whole cellular structure of the plant firm and thick, more rows of good kernels, strong tolerance against diseases, and increase harvest.
How to use the technology in Corn production:
- Corn kernels (seeds) must be soaked first in water with the technology for two and a half hours (2 ½ hrs.) before sowing it. Dilution: 1 tbsp Atovi : 1 liter of water. The dilution can be used many times for soaking. If there’s excess mixture (water & atovi), it can be use to condition the soil where it will be planted. Water the planting hole with the said mixture to prevent corn maggots from eating the seeds.
- For two (2) weeks, spray Atovi in the afternoon (preferably 5pm) every other day. Dilution: 2 tbsp. Atovi : 1 Gallon of Water (4 liters) or 1 kg. Atovi : 1 Drum of Water.
- After transplanting, maintain the application of Atovi every late afternoon weekly and stop two (2) weeks before harvest time, using the same dilution stated in No.2. This will procedure will make the whole cellular structure of plant including the corn kernels (fruit) very firm to prevent insects from damaging them.
- For plots, be sure to cultivate the soil one (1) week before transplanting for good soil aeration. Much better results can be achieved if manure (fecal waste) from animals already taking Atovi will be used as organic fertilizer during land preparation. If not, one can use ordinary animal manure from animals not taking Atovi but before incorporating them into the soil, spray them with Atovi every other day for one (1) week to hasten the manure decomposition and makes them organic fertilizer.
- In any case, don’t forget to spray Atovi on the plot to energize the beneficial bacteria in the soil, exterminate harmful microorganisms and insect pests, eradicate weed seeds, and achieve the 3-week organic soil state.
- In spraying Atovi, make sure to wet the underside of leaves, and or, water the plant base/root zone for fast effect.
- Simple tips: Always maintain clean corn field. Remove stubbles, or any trash where insects thrives.